In advance of Earth Day on Friday, April 22, Schlafly Beer raises awareness of their sustainable practices with a new packaging update to their entire portfolio of beers. The brewery buys green power offsets to operate completely on 100% renewable energy at both brewpub locations of the Tap Room and Bottleworks as well as their off-site warehouse. Now, all Schlafly packaging showcases that designation.
This practice, in addition to other sustainable initiatives, has contributed to the Bottleworks’ community of Maplewood, MO recognition as a Green Power Community by the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency). Additionally, Schlafly will meet with its brewing industry peers in St. Louis on Thursday, April 21 other members of the St. Louis Brewers Guild at Urban Chestnut’s Tower Grove location to discuss the future of sustainability in the craft beer industry.
Rachelle L’Ecuyer, community development director of the City of Maplewood, says, “Schlafly is a sustainability leader in the Maplewood community. They are truly a role model for other businesses, small and large, and across industry lines. The goals that they set from energy-efficient power usage to recycling can be easily replicated and sustained. They have taught us how to integrate sustainability practices into our daily lives and played a major part in Maplewood’s recognition as an EPA Green Power Community. Year after year they maintain their commitment to the environment and produce a high quality product.”
Schlafly Beer’s sustainability initiatives include the following:
- Installing 25 kW photovoltaic solar array panels on the Bottleworks roof to help power the brewery
- Purchasing yearly energy offsets for 100% of the brewery’s operation, including Bottleworks, the Tap Room, and offsite warehousing; for 2016, Schlafly purchased 2,036 RECS (renewable energy certificates), the equivalent of more than 2 million kilowatt-hours and 28% of the city’s overall green energy contribution
- Donating spent grain from brewing to local farmers to utilize for livestock
- Growing four tons of produce for its restaurants at the half of an acre garden, or Schlafly Gardenworks, located at the Bottleworks location
- In addition to the garden, purchasing a large amount of locally produced food for its restaurants to be considered a member of the Green Dining Alliance
- Hosting the weekly Schlafly Farmers Markets on Wednesday evenings from 4- 7 p.m.
- Diverting solid waste from the landfill, as well as receiving grants for a pilot composting project for post-consumer food waste at both the Tap Room and Bottleworks
- Using ultra-high efficiency heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning units
- Making an effort to do business with local companies from bottles to packaging, which reduces the brewery’s carbon footprint
- Supporting Ameren’s Pure Power renewable energy program, as well as hosting and supporting local sustainability organizations Slow Food St. Louis, St. Louis Originals, and St. Louis Earth Day.
- Schlafly Beer has been the exclusive beer sponsor of St. Louis Earth Day for 10 years, with the largest commitment to date this year, including donating $1 for every pint of Schlafly Beer purchased in the month of April to St. Louis Earth Day, among other initiatives.
For more about Schlafly Beer, visit www.schlafly.com. To learn more about Schlafly’s sustainable efforts, visit www.schlafly.com/green. Guests can learn more about Schlafly Beer’s sustainability efforts at the St. Louis Earth Day Festival on this Sunday, April 24 at the Muny Grounds in Forest Park from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
About Schlafly Beer
In 2014, Schlafly Beer’s production of 60,000 barrels of beer took place between its two brewery-restaurants, Schlafly Tap Room (2100 Locust St.) in downtown St. Louis, and Schlafly Bottleworks (7260 Southwest Ave.) located in Maplewood. The Schlafly Tap Room was the first new brewpub to open in Missouri since Prohibition and is housed in a restored wood and brick building on the National Historic Register. Schlafly Bottleworks offers free weekend tours every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 12-5 p.m. on the hour, and every half hour on Saturdays. Schlafly Tap Room offers free brewery tours every Sunday. For a full listing of Schlafly Beers and for more information on distribution, visit www.schlafly.com. Find Schlafly Beer on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.